ESTATE PLANNING FROM AN EMOTIONAL PARADIGM HOW DO I SURVIVE WHEN MY LOVED ONE IS DYING?
ESTATE PLANNING FROM AN EMOTIONAL PARADIGM
HOW DO I SURVIVE WHEN MY LOVED ONE IS DYING?
A dying loved one can cause emotional, financial, and time constraints. The challenges are huge. The benefits are fewer, but being able to say goodbye is a big gift. Enjoying your loved one and living in the moment is key to those last months together. As a Probate, Trust, and Estate Planning Attorney, I have seen first hand the sadness and stress that illness has on the loved ones left behind.
ESTATE PLANNING FROM A HUMAN PERSPECTIVE
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP YOUR LOVED ONE MAKE THE PROCESS EASIER?
- Write letters to each other. Doing this is cathartic for both loved ones and can help ease the emotional pain. You can make it a celebration and exchange the letters together.
- Do a holistic, comprehensive estate plan that covers all aspects of their health care, financial matters, and wishes for their beneficiaries upon their passing. Do this with an attorney who has experience in this area of law. At Ally Glaser, PA, I give my clients the power to choose by assisting them with estate planning while they are able.
- Get everything out of their name so that probate is avoided. For example, a revocable trust can be created and all assets can be placed into the trust now while they are still alive. This can avoid both probate and guardianship issues in the future. Another option is to do payable on death beneficiary designations. Some investment accounts and real estate do not allow for this option and thus, a trust is a must. A will does not avoid the requirement of probate court, it merely helps the Judge determine the beneficiaries.
- Finalize any burial plans. Does your loved one prefer burial or cremation with a sprinkling at sea? Get these details documented by an Estate Planning Attorney. You can buy a prepaid funeral plan for services, cremation, mausoleum, grave burials, and many other items. You can even make pre-paid arrangements to cover the costs for the hiring of the boat and the sprinkling at sea.
- Enjoy every last minute with them. Some ideas for you to enjoy are extended family cruises; one family took all the kids and grandkids to Club Med. Another couple went on a romantic cruise to celebrate their anniversary; they were greeted with rose petals and balloons in their room. A mother and daughter recently went to a hotel to exchange their letters and spend quality time together.
- Most importantly, they will have good and bad days and they need your love and support. The process is difficult and challenging; you can get through this.
WHY SHOULD I USE AN EXPERIENCED PROBATE, TRUST, AND ESTATE PLANNING ATTORNEY?
As an attorney in Miami Beach, Florida with over twenty years of experience, I am knowledgeable and comfortable discussing estate planning matters and all of the details involved in creating a personalized estate plan for you. I am skilled in protecting both your assets and loved ones and have both a law and psychology degree allowing me to easily navigate through this sensitive area of law. I am happy to help during this extremely difficult time.